The May Law Firm, PLLC provides high quality, reasonable-priced legal services throughout the state of Mississippi.
Take time to review our website;
you will be glad you did.
▪ Business Consulting – MLF advises small businesses concerning financing and marketing strategies to grow their businesses. MLF also assists its clients with development strategies to reach the clients’ goals. We analyze financial statements of small to medium-sized companies to determine their financial position and credit-worthiness. We also make recommendations to attain their financing objectives.
▪ General Counsel Services - MLF has served as General Counsel, In-House Counsel, and Board Counsel for public and private entities in education, transportation, insurance, and healthcare industry.
MLF advises clients on governance structure, board and committee charters and practices, disclosure and compliance policies, and director obligations and responsibilities.
▪ Business Formation and Capitalization - Whether a start-up or established company, we create strategies and structure transactions that meet the needs of our clients.
▪ Economic Development / Real Estate Development - MLF lawyers have developed and owned a real estate project in the City of Jackson (Lakewood Cove, shown in this picture) and know the City of Jackson’s development process from start to finish. MLF provides technical, business, legal, and political analyses concerning commercial developments, including, but not limited to, incentives for commercial and mixed-use developments using, among other vehicles, Public Improvement Districts (“PID”) and Tax Increment Financing (“TIF”).
MLF lawyers have relationships with government representatives and have secured commercial development incentives for clients at the state, county, and even municipal level, as appropriate.
▪ Administrative Law - With years of experience behind them, our lawyers represent your interests regarding both procedural and substantive matters. MLF has represented local city, county, and state government and agencies, including school boards and the largest airport authority in the state of Mississippi in matters including, but not limited to:
- Administrative hearings and agency proceedings
- Judicial review of administrative and agency action
- Presentations before state and local boards and commissions
- Bid protests
- Title VII, Title IX, Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) due process hearings.
▪ Municipal Law - A former Deputy City Attorney for the City of Jackson, Mississippi and In-House Counsel for the Jackson Municipal Airport Authority, Attorney John May provides comprehensive, cost-effective counsel to our clients in matters before local governments and quasi-governmental authorities.
John understands city governance and is adept at creating strategies for marshaling resolutions through city councils, identifying bottlenecks and resolving such issues, and representing clients before city councils, boards of supervisors, and quasi-governmental entities.
▪ Public Finance (Bond Issuances) - MLF is one of the few minority-owned public finance law firms in the State of Mississippi. MLF’s Bond Issuances Portfolio includes taxable and tax-exempt debt, fixed and variable rate obligations, revenue and grant anticipation notes, lease purchases, and certificates of participation transactions. Serving as bond counsel and underwriter's counsel for both public and private development projects, MLF’s attorneys have been involved in over $500,000,000.00 of bond transactions for such clients as:
- Jackson Municipal Airport Authority
- Jackson State University
- University of Southern Mississippi
- City of Jackson, Mississippi
- City of Hattiesburg, Mississippi
- Hinds County, Mississippi
- Jackson Public School District
- Tunica County School District
- West Jackson Student Housing, LLC
▪ Education Law – MLF lawyers have many years of experience representing public universities and school districts as General Counsel and District Counsel respectively. As Jackson State University’s first General Counsel, Regina Quinn established the University’s legal department. She now serves as General Counsel to Tunica County School District, Holmes County Consolidated School District and Noxubee County School District.
As such, MLF is well-versed in creating and advising such clients concerning policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local laws, conducting internal investigations and drafting investigative reports; training faculty and staff in development workshops with the expressed goal of minimizing legal exposure; advising Human Resources Directors and other department heads concerning employee and student grievances, discipline, and termination; responding to Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEOC”) claims; working with compliance officers responsible for reviewing and recommending revisions to University and School District policies and procedures to ensure compliance with federal, state and local laws.
▪ Fire Claims – Having served as Claims Legal Counsel for one of the largest insurance companies in the country, MLF is well-versed in dealing with fire claims and the challenges insurance companies present in opposition to those claims. MLF understands the pain caused by fire losses and how to get the insurance company to understand that pain as well.
▪ Sexual Assault / Harassment - Everyone has the right to be free from sexual harassment and be compensated "for just doing their jobs well". MLF fights for the rights of its clients to just do their jobs without being bombarded with or exposed to unwanted sexual materials and sexual advances.
We represent clients who must consider their options when faced with a sexually hostile work environment and offer knowledgeable advice and guidance concerning options for holding accountable the harasser and the employer that allows the harasser to continue harassing.
▪ Wrongful Denial of Insurance Claims ("Bad-Faith") - A substantial portion of MLF’s litigation practice is insurance coverage and “Bad Faith” litigation. The firm routinely represents plaintiffs in disputes with and litigation against insurers for wrongful denial of insurance coverage and gross undervaluation of insurance claims. The firm has developed an excellent reputation in Mississippi in handling insurance bad faith cases.